Friday, February 4, 2011

Ahhh, To Be at Sea...

NYC Feb. 2011
February in New York is probably my least favorite time of year to be alive.  It is the last month of true winter.  Although, I usually count March as "winter" too, but at least March is capable of pleasantly surprising you with the occasional warm front.  Of course, "warm" means like, 38 degrees.  February, however, is also often the coldest month.  I know that some people love winter, but most of those people can ski.  I would be happy if winter were over after Christmas.  This winter has been especially rough because since late December, we've had what seems like two major snow storms per week.  Very unusual.


Anyway, I find myself dreaming of lounging on a sailboat and drifting out on the warm seas.  I'd have a nice cocktail and perhaps be listening to Django Reinhardt.  I'd be lying on the deck to soak up the sun.  When I would grow bored, I might think about all the wonderful textures one can find on a sailboat...






I love the look of rope; miles of rope wrapped around and around.  And chains!  Old, rusty, heavy chains...


I like anything nautical, really.  I love the sailor stripes and the crisp whites.  I love anchors.  So, when I think about the lovely textures one sees on a boat, my mind immediately goes to stencils.  What kind of stencil can I make that would evoke a lovely day of sailing?






http://www.etsy.com/listing/65451832/reusable-wall-stencil-nautical-chain

I also have this wonderful vintage Chanel necklace that makes me think of nautical chains.  So, with sailing and my necklace in mind, I came up with this one:

I can't wait to do more nautical-themed stencils!  And for SPRING!

Any ideas?







2 comments:

  1. What about a flowering jacaranda tree? They are the most beautiful shade of purple and iconic of Australian springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your oceana items (well they are my favorite I love everything!) My top fav is JELLYFISH STENCIL It reminds me of swimming with moon jellies in a cave in the BVI

    ReplyDelete